JULY 17

The Bishops’ Bible, issued in 1568, was an English translation of the Bible called for by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Matthew Parker, to counter the Calvinism of the Geneva Bible, which was found mostly in the notes of the Geneva Bible, not in the translation itself. It is called the Bishops’ Bible because it was translated by Bishops of the Church of England. It became the authorized English translation of the Church of England and replaced the Great Bible as the authorized version to be read in English churches.