1. So that we will continue to have a free society within which the Gospel can be publicly proclaimed and openly professed by all who come to the knowledge of the truth. (1 Timothy 2:1-4)
2. Because righteousness alone exalts a nation and sin will ultimately prove to be a reproach to any people. (Proverbs 14:34)
3. Because revival is now a matter of national survival. As President Ronald Reagan once put it: “If we ever forget that we are a nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.” (Psalm 9:17)
4. Because once the foundations are destroyed there is nothing that the righteous can do; the destruction of our nation will have become an inevitability. (Psalm 11:3)
5. Because only the nation whose God is the Lord will be divinely blessed and favored. (Psalm 33:12)
6. Because people rejoice under the government of the righteous, but always morn when the wicked are in power. (Proverbs 29:2)
A SAMPLE PRAYER FOR AMERICA
O Lord God of heaven, we have sinned against you. We have corrupted ourselves and failed to keep your commandments. Therefore, help us to rend our hearts and not our garments, so that we may turn from our sins against you with broken hearts and return to you with all of our hearts. Spare us and pity us, I pray, so that our country will not become a reproach to you and a byword among the nations.
Restore us now to yourself, O Lord, that we may return to you. Renew our days as of old and once again make your face to shine upon us. In the midst of your wrath against us remember mercy and in the midst of America’s years revive and renew her so that we, the American people, may once again rejoice in you.
Prayer is based on: Nehemiah 1:4-11; Joel 2:12-17; Psalm 80:3, 19; Lamentations 5:21; Habakkuk 3:2; Psalm 85:6.